Every year as the weather warms up and sunny days get longer we start thinking about proper sun care for ourselves and our children. Over the years regular drug store favourites like Coppertone and Banana Boat have come under scrutiny for containing toxic chemical ingredients. With the switch to more mineral based sunblocks that contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, there is a myriad of choices that makes choosing a safe sunscreen daunting to us parents. (check out our previous post on safe sunscreens for your little ones).
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has come out with its recommendations again for the best sunscreens for kids. These products do not contain potential hormone disruptors. As before, the recommendation is to stick to products containing zinc and/or titanium and stay away from those containing oxybenzone or vitamin A.
Here’s a great post on 9 safe sunscreens for kids from EWG’s top picks some of which can be picked up at the drug store.
Also, make sure to check out EWG’s sunscreen guide for 2015 for a more exhaustive list of sunscreens for the whole family.
9 Safe Sunscreens For Kids
- Aveeno Baby Natural Protection Mineral Block Face Stick, SPF 50
- MDSolarSciences Mineral Lotion For Face and Body Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Babyganics Mineral-Based Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Honest Sunscreen
- Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream, Chamomile and Calendula, SPF 30
- Thinkbaby Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Sunscreen For Kids, Unscented, SPF 45
- TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30+
Enjoy your sunny days safely!